Goal setting is important for students, leaders and organizations. There are various methods and techniques that assist in setting goals. This resource provides tips on goal setting using S.M.A.R.T. goals. Utilizing S.M.A.R.T. goals encourages the use of detailed and measurable information so that all members and leaders in the organization are clear on the goal and tasks necessary to accomplish the goal.
Purpose of goal setting:
- Opportunity for organization to reflect on strengths and areas of improvement
- Realize priorities
- Provides focus and sense of direction
- Create a plan
- Assign tasks
- Track progress
What are S.M.A.R.T. goals?
- Answering the questions on who, what, where, when and why
- Answering the questions on how to accomplish the goal
- Answering the questions on is it possible, does the organization enough resources (time, money etc.)
- Answering the questions on is it realistic, does it make sense of the organization, is this goal necessary right now
- Answering the questions on the time frame (target date, is it attainable, is it too close or far into the future)